Carrot Syrup - Sore throats
This is a remedy from my Portuguese mother-in-law. When her sons were little children and had a sore throat her doctor prescribed them carrot syrup, which she and my husband have been making ever since.
Here is the recipe:
1. Slice 1 carrot very thinly
2. Sprinkle on rapadura or muscovado sugar (these are both unrefined sugars with higher levels of vitamins and minerals than white or brown sugar.
3. Leave for a few hours until the sugar extracts the juice from the carrots and a syrup is formed
4. Squeeze half a small lemon into the syrup
5. Take a teaspoon every 2 hours until the sore throat goes away.